OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2015

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 2015 21:05:06 +0000
 I went to Sims Park in Euclid today.  As the lake is still iced up only bird of interest was a Brown Creeper.
I then went to Villa Angela/Wildwood Parks (part of Euclid Creek Reservation) on Lakeshore Blvd on the shores of Lake Erie.  I was there form 11:30am to 2pm.  It preceded to get much colder and more overcast to almost foggy with a mist by the time I left.  It was not very birdy here today.  Monday afternoon there was a better assortment of ducks, Hooded Mergansers 2m, Ring-necked Ducks 3f, Wood Ducks 4, and Lesser Scaup.  Today besides the three Red-breasted Mergansers, a American Black Duck there was only the male American Wigeon on Euclid Creek on the gravel/muddy bar which was found by Jim Latsch on 3/18.  Besides an abundance of Song Sparrows, a few Juncos, a Cowbird, and a Peregrine Falcon flying out of the woods in Wildwood when I approached the creek the only bird of interest today was a Common Redpoll in the Villa Angela woods.  I haven't seen any in over a year but the bird was seen where I traditionally see them at the park when Redpolls are numerous.  It was on the south side of the woods that have birch and alders at the east end feeding on the ground in the leaves.  Then I refound it behind me under an alder tree in the middle of the field.  It flew away and when I returned later it was in the woods again.  Only saw one.  I haven't been tromping around the park very much this winter in the deep snow so I don't know how long it has been hanging around.
Nancy AndersonRichmond Heightshttps://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a