OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2015

From:
Ryan Tomazin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Tomazin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2015 23:28:29 -0400
Hello All,

Since no one ever seems to post about this birdy gem of an area, I thought I would.

My wife and I spent a few hours out in the reclaimed strips of Egypt Valley and at Piedmont Lake adjacent, and had the following bird highlights (49 total species):

Tree Swallows - probably over 100 total
American Wigeon - 4-6
Gadwall - few
Hooded Merganser - 15 or so
Wilson's Snipe - 12
Rusty Blackbird - 1
Cedar Waxwing - 1
Wood Duck - 12+, including males in super-brilliant breeding coloration
American Coot - dozens and dozens
Tundra Swan - 2 at Piedmont Lake
American Black Duck - 2
Green-winged Teal - 10+
Horned Grebe - 3 at Piedmont Lake
Canvasback - 8-10 at Piedmont Lake
Lesser Scaup - 30+ at Piedmont Lake
Ring-necked Duck - 35-45
Greater Scaup - few at Piedmont Lake
Pied-billed Grebe - 2
Red-breasted Mergansers - 7 at Piedmont Lake
Redhead
Northern Shoveler - 2
Purple Martin - 2, to my surprise, above cattle pastures

Not a bad way to spend the afternoon in the middle of nowhere.

Ryan Tomazin - Bridgeville, PA