OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2015

From:
Paul Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 2015 11:30:31 +0000
Hello John,
Your personal list is your personal list, and you can put anything on it that you like. However, if you enjoy comparing your list numbers to others, then you need a level playing field. The American Birding Association provides a set of Recording Rules  that most serious listers will try to follow. They can be found here:
http://listing.aba.org/aba-recording-rules/

To jump to the chase, for your Bar-headed Goose to be countable, it must be part of an established population. Since there is no reason to think it's not just an isolated stray from some waterfowl-fancier's backyard, it shouldn't go on your list -- if you care about complying with the ABA guidelines.
Happy birding,Paul
 Paul Gardner
Secretary, OBRC
Columbus, OH