OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2015

From:
Spencer Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Spencer Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 2015 09:57:20 -0500
All,

I had a chance last night to review my SLR photos of the Northern Saw-whet
Owl at Caley Reservation.   I emailed a few of my photos to Tom Bartlett who
has done a ton of research and banding on this particular species of owl.
Two of my photos show the owl grooming and expose the bird's right leg.
Tom and I agreed that there appears to be a gray band on the birds leg in
both photos!  The photos were taken with my SLR, but the clarity isn't good
enough to get a band number.  So if anyone goes to view or photograph the
bird today, try to get photos of the right leg.  I know this bird is located
pretty close to Dane Adams and he has taken some wonderful photos and
certainly has the equipment to get a better photo than I took!!

I don't post any of my photos on websites, I'm a birder, not a
photographer!!  This listserve does not allow photographs to be emailed as
attachments.  So if anyone would like to see the two photos, email me off
list and I'll email them directly to you.

Thanks everyone, and good luck!!

Spencer A. Ryan