OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2015

From:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 2015 16:31:39 -0400
I was out to Wright Marsh and along Cemetery Rd in the Killbuck WA south of
Wooster in Wayne Co this morning from 9-11am. Despite the brisk temps,
especially when the wind came up, it was sunny and the migrating waterfowl
were looking beautiful.

I had 16 species of ducks, including all three mergansers, plus common
loon, horned grebe, honkers and mute and trumpeter swans for a total of 21
waterfowl species. The most abundant were ring-necks, redheads, and lesser
scaup, but there were smaller numbers of the rest, down to a single pintail
and loon. In addition, there were a lot of ring-billed and herring gulls,
two lesser yellowlegs and a few rusty blackbirds. Sandhill cranes were
calling in the distance but I did not see them.  Randy Rowe, Wooster

Waterfowl list was:
common loon (Pine Tree Barn lake nearby)
horned grebe
mute swan
trumpeter swan
Canada goose