OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2015

From:
Cheryl Harner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 2015 09:07:38 -0500
Conserving birds is a big challenge. There is plenty of room for all of us to work together.

The Ohio Ornithological Society has worked to fund habitat in the T.N.C.’s Sunshine Corridor and at Meadowbrook Marsh in Marblehead, Ohio. The O.O.S. has also given both money and support for the work of many other organizations: Black Swamp Bird Observatory Rail projects, Ohio Young Birders,  OSU’s Cerulean Warbler research, Ohio Birding Conservation Initiative and The Wilds’ on American Kestrel box projects.  O.O.S. supported the Greater Mohican Audubon Society and their successful efforts to impact the management of grassland to protect the Bobolinks at Byers Woods.

While O.O.S. may be faulted for not bragging enough about our efforts to conserve birds in Ohio, it is not for lack of good works.  We provide consistent support for scientific projects, feet on the ground research, conservation education for the birding public, and significant funding for the protection of habitats and birds.

The O.O.S. newsletter has also evolved to an e-mail version as an effort to conserve paper and dollars which can be put to better use, like our conservation projects.  The O.O.S. Conservation Committee has been very active and does work towards the protection of birds by partnering with many organizations. We will also step up our efforts to prevent habitat destruction across our state, especially in our parks and forests.

No matter where one chooses to spent his/her conservation dollars, please invest in our natural world.  You can be assured your conservation dollars donated to O.O.S. are put to good use and will continue to protect birds and habitats in Ohio.

Cheryl Harner
OOS Conservation Chair