OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2015

From:
Dillon Nott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dillon Nott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 2015 07:08:53 -0700
So I woke up this morning, got up, and looked out the window to see a large
brown bird perched high in a tree of a woodland, watching over our meadow.
So I gotthe binoculars out to see what it was. No red tail, too small for
Cooper, so I focused more to see it was more, camo like, a great horned
owl. But, as it took off I saw more black on the tail, resembling a red
shouldered hawk. But it seemed to be too big to be a red shouldered.
Stumped.
Anyway, birds were more active then usual today, cardinals, finches,
titmice and wrens were all singing like crazy. We have a tree real close to
my grandparents house with a female downy making a cavity in it. She's been
working on this since last summer too. So here, we now have 1 barn owl box,
1 barred owl box, 1 screech owl box, 1 wren box, 1 bluebird box, and
several " fancy " wren boxes.
-DILLON