OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2015

From:
Jon Cefus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Cefus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2015 11:49:11 -0400
Hello!

Wild horses couldn't have kept me indoors yesterday, so I spent several hours slowly walking around Sippo Lake Park in Stark County soaking up the sun and listening to the birds.  For several weeks now, Northern Cardinals, Black-capped Chickadees, Tufted Titmice, and Song Sparrows have been singing.  Yesterday, for the first time in my short time as a birder, I got to watch and listen to Dark-eyed Juncos singing.

I'm well accustomed now to their smacking 'stip' and buzzy sounds as they move and forage, but to hear their song was a real treat.  I also noticed that many were chasing each other around. The prime directive in nature is now taking hold of behavior dominated in recent months by survival in our harsh winter.

Also of note, their were many swarms of little insects (some resemblance to mosquitoes) flying around behind the low head dam.  In that area, I got nice looks (and a few photographs) at 2 Hermit Thrushes working the stream area.

It's about time to keep our ears open for the "peent" of American Woodcocks and our eyes open for those first Ospreys hunting for fish as the water opens up and the shallows get warmer.

Happy birding!

Jon Cefus

Sent from my iPhone