OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2015

From:
Jason Cade <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Cade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2015 18:54:54 -0400
Picked up some great birds today at multiple locations.

Caesar Creek (only 2 places with open water)
Harveysburg Rd- 2 Tundra Swans, 4 Trumpeter Swans, Gadwall, Pintails, Canvasback, Redhead, Bufflehead, Goldeneye, both Scaup sp, Ring-necks

Furnas Shore boat ramp- 4 Trumpeter Swans (different birds including 2 immatures), Goldeneye, Black Ducks, Redhead, Canvasback, both Scaup sp, Ring-necks, Common Merganser, Hooded Merganser, GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULL- (stood out from Herring Gulls it was standing between; checkerboard black and white mantle, large white head, large bodied, large thick black bill, bullied nearby gulls and ducks for their food), Bald Eagle, 2 Lapland Longspurs (odd behavior; heard calling overhead and then descended onto snow covered ice briefly before taking off again)

Roxana New Burlington Rd roadside field
2 American Pipits

Hisey Park
1 Northern Harrier, White-crowned Sparrows

Union Rd roadside field (South Lebanon; found a huge concentration of geese and ducks out in a distant cornfield near the intersection of Union Rd & Nickel Rd)
1 Snow Goose (stuck out amongst all the Canadas; actually saw it fly in)
1500 Canada Geese (easily more; coming and going constantly)
Mallards, Gadwall, Black Ducks (only ducks I could ID)

I recommend keeping an eye on this field as it was stuffed with birds. The checklist I submitted to Ebird has a pin on the exact location. Great birding!

Sent from my iPad