From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 2015 08:28:50 -0400
Hi,

An interesting discussion about forest management.  The sort of thing I
find  far more interesting than just sighting reports.

We must all consider that state and national forests are not parks or
preserves but rather viewed as resources.  Good management of those
resources are essential. Unfortunately ordinary citizens have little say in
actual practice as we are not the primary constituents of the managing
authority and generally the environmental community is against any
exploitation of these resources, as a result, they are not taken seriously.

People interested in conservation of bird habitat can however do concrete
things to preserve and protect habitat.  Unfortunately, given real evidence
it seems they are very reluctant to do so.

First they can purchase an Ohio Wildlife Legacy Stamp.  These are available
from the Division of Wildlife at www.wildohio.gov  With the stamp you will
get a pin, and I encourage birders to wear this pin in the field to show
they support habitat conservation.

Additionally they can contribute to established not for profit institutions
which manage habitat in Ohio.  Mentor Marsh is a favorite spot for birders
and is jointly managed by the Division of Natural Areas and Preserves, AND
the Cleveland Museum of Natural History.  If you have been to Wake Robin
Trail in the past few years you have seen the tremendous effort the museum
is putting into restoring the marsh in that area.  You can contribute to
this effort by making a donation the Museums Mentor Marsh fund.

There are other legitimate organizations in Ohio which have similar
projects or preserve large tracts of land.  Mentor Marsh is one that just
happens to come to mind.

One other thing you can do is contribute to the Friends of Magee Marsh fund
for rebuilding of the boardwalk.  Because those 7 acres are a great birding
spot and concentrate migrants in a small area where they are easy to see,
it attracts lots of visitors and the boardwalk is essential to protecting
the area and keeping it viable as a good place to see birds.
Unfortunately, even given thousands of visits every year, the Friends do
not have enough money to do the full rebuild project, simply because
visitors are not contributing. (If every visitor contributes a paltry $3 it
will take 6 to 10 years to raise the needed funds)

I would challenge the birding community in Ohio to put their money into
habitat conservation.  Compared to what is spent on travel to see birds
alone it is a very small outlay that will go a long way.

Haans