From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 2015 08:04:26 -0400
Hi, Regina and all--
        Interesting about the pectorals. I'd think that is far and away the
largest incursion this year thus far. The farther west you go in Ohio
the easier it is to see spring pectoral flocks (in the fall, they split
up and don't flock much). Comparatively far fewer show up in eastern
Ohio, and the farthest east I've seen big spring flocks is occasionally
at Killdeer Plains, where thousands may appear. Once only, I saw ~2000
here in Franklin Co, just after the parks flooded what were once corn
fields. Northbound pectorals tend to stick to the central flyway on
their way to the high Arctic, and I have wondered if we see the birds
going to a recently-recognized isolated and much closer nest site on
Hudson Bay (you can barely see a little pink dot in the Natl Geo birds
book). I imagine Darke Co gets more black-bellied plovers, too, for a
lot of the same reasons. Probably more of both can be displaced by
winds, too.
Thanks for the reminder,
Bill Whan