From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 2015 13:17:27 -0400
Hi all,

Just to underline what Haans is saying—we feed birds in our yard in Cleveland heights. Over the years we have had a few quick visits from different warblers, but you could count them on the fingers of one hand.

But just a few blocks away, on residential streets, I often hear and see warblers during migration—why? Because there’s a stand of old, very tall oaks there.

If I were trying to attract warblers, I’d plant a good-sized stand of mixed oaks (they apparently host more insect larvae than other genera), and as they grew taller, I’d plant some more shrubby trees underneath. Of course, you need some property to do that—and the benefit would accrue to our grandchildren. Still it would be a good thing to do…

Best wishes,

Steve