From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 2015 17:35:58 +0000
After what seemed weeks of getting nothing but the usual suspects in our backyard, Monday one female Purple Finch showed up at our thistle feeder for a few moments.  Tuesday around 10:00AM a Pine Siskin came in to the same feeder.  While studying the Siskin,  we saw two nice male Purple Finches feeding at our sunflower hopper feeder toward the back of the yard.  The Purple Finches only hung around for ten minutes, then took off never to be seen again.  It was the first time in several years we've had Purple finches, though we used to get them all the time in the winter many, many years ago.  A little while later, a Red-breasted Nuthatch came to our suet feeder, a FOY backyard sighting.  The Siskin and Nuthatch hung around all day, but never did see the P finches again.
Today, Wednesday, we have two Siskins, but they may be different from the one yesterday because they don't have as much yellow in the wings as yesterday's bird.
Also, there are still a couple Juncos lingering in our backyard as of today.  For those wondering about Goldfinches, we've had at least a dozen hanging around all winter.
John and Ann EdwardsRocky RiverCuyahoga County