From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Apr 2015 23:38:25 -0400
We visited these 2 Greene County preserves looking for wildflowers and migrants. Both are forested gorges - one along the Little Miami River, the other along Massie Creek - surrounded by farmland.  Both had good wildflowers, but there were few migrants and we had to settle for a good list of residents.  Included in the haul were

Pileated Woodpeckers - singles at both sites
E.Phoebes - 2-3 at each site
Rough-winged Swallows - 6+ at CliftonGorge, 2 at Indian Mound
Blue-headed Vireo - a singing bird at Clifton Gorge was likely a migrant
HouseWrens - several singing at each site
Gnatcatchers - perhaps the most common migrant at both sites, with numbers over 10 at each
Ruby-cr.Kinglets - 6+ at CliftonGorge, another 4 at Indian Mound
HermitThrush - 1 at Clifton Gorge
ParulaWarblers - at least 2 singing birds at each site
Yellow-throatedWarblers - at least 3 singing birds at each site
Yellow-rumped Warblers - 7+ at CliftonGorge, 3-4 at Indian Mound
LouisianaWaterthrush - 2 birds singing at Clifton Gorge, another at Indian Mound
ChippingSparrows - many singing birds at both sites, mostly in upland areas
White-throatedSparrows - small flocks at several spots in each preserve