From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 2015 18:27:49 -0400
Discovered a great horned owl nest yesterday, that I had walked past
several times without noticing the contents.  Yesterday, the single owlet
was standing up as big as a fully inflated football.  Today I got some
digiscopes of Her(?) lying down and posted them on flickr.  They can be
accessed at the site below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117316946@N08/?

This nest was built two years ago by Red Shouldered hawks, one of whom,
ironically,  was predated ON THE NEST by another great Horned owl, quite
possibly the grand parent of this one.  Based on our recent experiences,
this girl is about ready to fledge.

     The nest is a mere 200 yards from my house.  Oddly, I never heard the
parent owls call one single time this late winter/spring.  Why?

Joe in the woods
Perry County
Somerset, Ohio