From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2015 14:36:33 -0400
I was at the Lake Erie Bluffs Park this morning for about a couple hours (9:45-11:40).  There was a nice movement of birds util about 11:30, when the rain moved in.  I had over 250 turkey vultures pass by and in one of the flocks was a black vulture.  the bird was with 3 turkey vultures.  It was at the southwest corner of the big field west of Lane Road, it flew southeast.  Other raptors counted were bald eagle- 1, sharp-shinned hawk-45, Cooper's hawk- 1, Red-shouldered hawk- 7, Red-tailed hawk- 41, Northern harrier-1, and American kestrel- 2.
There was also a nice movement of songbirds.  In the time I was there I counted 120 northern flickers.  They probably had been moving all morning.  Also of note were great blue heron- 3, great egret-1, double-crested cormorant- 44, Wilson's snipe-3, belted kingfisher- 2, tree swallow-15, and American pipit- 11.   Other migrants were killdeer- 22, American woodcock- 1, American crow- 70, blackbirds- 1200, eastern meadowlark- 3, eastern towhee- 2, fox sparrow-4.  In addition, there were about 200 rusty blackbirds feeding in the woods west of Lane Road.
For directions- lakemetroparks.com

John Pogacnik