From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 2015 20:11:03 +0000
 Birds observed at Sharon Woods Metro Park, NE Franklin County this morning, Friday, May 15:
A lone Double Crested Cormorant. Last week there were about a dozen at Blendon Woods Metro Park. Maybe the increased numbers in central Ohio imply that they realized what awaits them at lake Erie where there is a program to decrease their population (with prejudice).
An abundance of Wild Turkeys. Maybe the word "wild" needs to be deleted from the name. A Sharon Woods they are increasing their population rapidly. Visitors on the trails have to maneuver around them.
Woodpeckers - Only Red-bellied, Downy and Northern Flickers were showing themselves.
Flycatchers - This group was well represented with Eastern Wood Pewee, Acadian, Least, Willow, Eastern Phoebe, Great Crested and Eastern Kingbirds.
Vireos - both Red-eyed and Warbling were abundant. The Red-eyed along the wooded trails and the Warbling closer to Schrock Lake.
Thrush - Wood Thrush were tolerably common but none of the migrants were seen.
Mimics - Gray Catbirds were everywhere. Only two Brown Thrashers were observed.
Cedar Waxwings - Only two were seen.
Warblers - Overall numbers were low for most species but we managed to find 10 different warblers including Tennessee, Yellow, Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Yellow-rumped, Blackpoll, American Redstart, Ovenbird, Common Yellowthroat and Wilson's.
Tanagers - Only a few Scarlet and no Summer's. The place for Summer Tanagers seems to be Highbanks Metro Park where I have tallied 14 over my last three visits.
Sparrows and allies - Finally, White-crowned Sparrows (3). They have ben eluding me all spring. We also had Eastern Towhee, Indigo Bunting, Chipping Sparrow, Field Sparrow and Song Sparrow and a lone Rose-breasted Grosbeak.
Blackbirds - Well represented with 15 Baltimore and 7 Orchard Orioles.
Charlie Bombaci