From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 May 2015 10:34:40 -0400
Thanks, Liz, that's a neat record. We'd like to hear more about records
of this bird in the NW. Ontario has plenty of CWW records--lots more
than the northern half of Ohio--and of course the only reason they'd be
up there is to nest. Ohio nestings were first noticed --at least the
folks who published such records, not the locals--in the 1930s. The only
records from NW Ohio I knew of are mentioned in Peterjohn's "Birds of
Ohio," and one in the BBA II. Here is part of the entry for this species
in my book  (seen free at
http://www.columbusaudubon.org/images/resources/FCOChecklistWWhan.pdf  )

"As far as is generally known, a quite rare stray as far north as
Franklin County, although there are 37+ records from Point Pelee alone,
just across Lake Erie in southern Ontario (A. Wormington, in litt.).
Its distinctive insistent call was heard in a limestone area in Upper
Arlington near the Scioto on the interesting date of 6/7/1952 by
earwitnesses, in person and over a telephone, at the time the species’
northernmost known occurrence in Ohio (WB 65(1):43, Thomas MS at OHS).
Floyd Chapman, a witness to that 1952 event, also heard them singing in
two different years in the Walhalla Ravine during the 1960s and ‘70s
(precise dates unknown; J. Fry in litt.).  A migrant was discovered by
daylight on a log at Green Lawn Cemetery 5/2/1983 (AB 37(5):876).  A
local specimen #35258 at the Cincinnati Museum came from 2/28/1994, and
that museum added another found in Clermont County on 12/12/2005,
attesting to this species’ occasional hardiness."

        Those winter records are stunners. We have a lot to learn about chucks:
it would be weird if we knew of few nesting records between Columbus and
Ontario. Some of the records come from a two-minute walk of my place, in
free-thinking bird-friendly Clintonville. The new BB Atlas has only
three "possible" records in the Zero Zone, with none in Columbus.
Bill Whan
Columbus