From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2015 10:08:35 -0400
Even though more migrants are coming through, Some of the local nesters are
setting up shop.  At the pond, on the right hand bird box as you are
looking out, a House Wren is stuffing it with sticks...as usual. :-D The
center of the pond held a nesting Canada Goose, but her eggs have hatched,
so I guess there are some little ones floating around.  The left side nest
box has a pair of Chickadees nesting.   I saw the male handing off food to
the female a couple of times.  I'm also hearing Wood Ducks back in there,
but I haven't really located where they are nesting this year.

A Common Yellowthroat looks to be setting up a nesting site in the parking
lot area.

Ovenbirds are at every quadrant it seems.  A note for those listening for
them...they are not doing the *teacher, teacher, teacher *call.  Rather
more like a *loud teach teach teach *call.  threw me at first, but then I
remembered last year's did the same thing.

Cerulean Warblers have returned.  I heard a couple up near the far left of
the boardwalk circle...(Wish the boardwalk had numbers like Magee.  I would
put them somewhere near the 5 and 6 posts...but don't quote me. :-D )

On the flycatcher front, The Acadians have returned, as well as the
Great-crested, and Eastern Wood-Pewee.  They are scattered all through the
boardwalk and pond area.

Surprise to me was that I had a couple of late White-crowned Sparrows along
the edge of the parking lot.

Bobolinks are all over the Western half of the grasslands.

Birds missing so far are just the Prothonotary Warbler.  Perhaps we will
get a later migrant.

Mosquitoes are getting on the thick side, so bring whatever protection
suits you. :-D  I can still handle a thin shirt in there, but only just.
Ticks are bad if you get off into the grassy areas of the parking lot...or
sit on the boardwalk like I did. :-D  But they are not as bad it seems as
last year.
Flowers are almost all done.  A few Trills are hanging on. Phlox and Wild
Geraniums are the dominant flowers now.

My bird list from yesterday is below.

Happy Birding, and God Bless,

Steve J

Lawrence Woods State Nature Preserve, Hardin, US-OH
May 10, 2015 2:40 PM - 6:23 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Submitted from  BirdLog NA for Android v1.9.6
50 species

Canada Goose  8
Wood Duck  2
Ring-necked Pheasant  2