From:
"P.J. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
P.J. Johnson
Date:
Wed, 13 May 2015 23:18:23 +0000
 There were a few emails recently about odd behavior observed in birds.
My first odd observation was last Sunday morning.  A male house sparrow flew, hit a robin on the head, then bounced off and sat on the ground, about 1 - 1.2 feet from the robin.  The robin didn't seem particularly dazed, just stood there a moment.  The sparrow watched the robin, who went back to hunting.  When the robin brought up a mouthful of something (not a worm), the sparrow darted in, grabbed the meal from the robin's beak, and flew off.  The robin stood there another moment, then went back to hunting.
At Springfield Lake early May 10:  a Great Blue Heron swept in to feed along the bank.  A couple bachelor groups of Mallards.  About 8 or so Bank Swallows.   Half a dozen Killdeer.  Shortly, four of them clustered together, chattering and vibrating their wings and tails.  Two of them sparred, then fluttered back to the ground, and everybody chattered again.  This went on for maybe five minutes.  Lovely creatures, always remind me of Victorian, or at the latest, Edwardian gentlemen.
Jean JohnsonAkron, OH