From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 2015 21:48:56 -0400
The Scissor-tailed Flycatcher found by Michele Schisler, Kay Lauener, and Helen Taft, late in the evening on Wednesday May 13th, at Turtle Creek Marina and Campground in Ottawa County, apparently was only a one night stand. The long-tailed beauty was photographed by Helen for documentation. Not seen since Wednesday night at dark, the birding trio, campers at Turtle Creek during "The Biggest Week In American Birding", diligently searched the sighting area on Thursday and Friday, to no avail. My wife Denise and I, also campers nearby at Turtle Creek, were fortunate to be contacted by the finding trio in time to also see the celebrity visitor. Two other past records from the Magee Area were on May 24th, 1988 and May 14 & 15th, 1997. Just about the same time in the spring. Of interest is the fact that in 1988, Mark Shieldcastle found Ohio's first Northern Wheatear at this same location. Congratulations to Michele, Kay, and Helen, for their outstanding find. A thanks should go out to Jen Brumfield of her handling of the posting of  the location at this private campground location. A special thanks to The Turtle Creek management for their understanding of the situation. It is unfortunate the Scissor-tail did not stay longer for everyone to enjoy. Keep your eyes open! It could still be out there in the area.

Bob Lane / camper at Turtle Creek