From:
Jeff Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 May 2015 17:45:08 +0000
From Monday May 11 to Friday May 15, I was birding Magee Marsh, Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge, Metzger Marsh, Oak Openings and surrounding areas.
Although not many posts to this listserv during the period, the birding was what you would expect. Some days the birding was slow and other days very good. I didn't experience the birds dripping from the trees and I didn't get the super rarities.
The crowds generally were well behaved.
I did see many birding friends throughout my time there and had the pleasure of birding with my friends Bob and Denise Lane for the entire time.
I won't bore you with a long list but I did see 29 warbler species, 19 shorebird species and a total of 175 species.
I do have a few suggestions to make this week more enjoyable for everyone:
1. Ban laser pointers- I observed a few birders using these things.2. Ban tripods on the boardwalk in May. Although the photographers try they can't but     get in the way and block the boardwalk.3. Ban playback devices. I did observe a few birders trying to entice birds with ipods.
Finally, I did experience an incident that was shocking to me. I have been birding this area for over 20 years and this is the first time I have seen an employee with Ohio Division of Wildlife order everyone off the east beach. Over 40 birders including a tour was told they were trespassing in a wildlife area. There have never been any signs on east beach (the most likely place to see Kirtland's Warblers) preventing entrance. While many employees with the Division of Wildlife were very friendly and helpful this guy was not. Why would anyone close east beach during the Biggest Week is beyond me. They will say you can still walk the water's edge but not in the vegetation. You can't observe birds from the water's edge. This is a poor management decision and one that just alienates birders. The signs are there now. Why not close one of the best hunting areas during hunting season? That is what you did to birders this week.
A great migration to everyone,
Jeff HarveyMahoning County