From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 May 2015 00:03:33 +0000
 Today Shaune Skinner launched the HMS Hoover. Joining us were Christopher Torna and an OSU graduate assistant, my apologies to her as I didn't write her name down. It was a delightful day to be on the water at Hoover Reservoir with sunshine and reasonable temperatures. The only drawback, but not a totally bad one was the bass tournament on Hoover. They were not a problem in the water, but rather at the boat launch trying to find a place to park. Once we launched things were pleasant.
My top goal was to monitor for Prothonotary Warbler activity. We covered a few select areas and tallied 40 Prothonotaries. Some were very cooperative a put on private shows for us. The population at Hoover seems to be doing well this year as I have located pairs at every section I have covered.
Life is more than Prothonotary Warblers. I try to convince myself of this daily. We had numerous other nice sightings. Some were:
Herons - There were Great Blue Herons constantly flying over us, the young at the rookery are hungry; 5 Green Herons.
Osprey - The pairs on platforms 1 and 2 in Galena are on the nest; a new nest in under construction north on Little Walnut Creek; and 2 other adults were seen flying over, neither associated with the aforementioned. It appears we likely have 4 active nests.
Bald Eagles - The pair on the east shore have two fast growing young; A different adult was found on Big Walnut Creek; and what appears o be aa 3rd year juvenile did a fly over.
Shorebirds - Spotted Sandpipers were the sole representative of the group.
Gulls and Terns - The majority were Ring-billed Gulls enjoying the Area M boardwalk in the absence of people; also on the boardwalk were 6 Herring Gulls; and a non-breeding Franklin Gull. The latter took a loon look and research to make a call. After all aspects were considered, coupled with the Franklins reported at Alum Creek, this call seemed reasonable.
Woodpeckers - All Ohio species except sapsuckers were present. The highlight here were the 8 Red-headed Woodpeckers.
Flycatchers- Pewee, Acadian, Phoebe, Great Crested and Eastern Kingbirds.
Vireos - White-eyed, Yellow-throated, Warbling and Red-eyed.
Swallows and Martins - Purple Martins, Tree Swallow, Rough-winged Swallow, Barn Swallow and Cliff Swallows. The Cliff Swallow population in Galena is doing very well.
Warblers - Of course the Prothonotaries, plus Yellow, Yellow-throated, Northern Parula and Louisiana Waterthrush.
Baltimore Orioles and the other common species.
Charlie Bombaci