From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 May 2015 18:30:20 -0400
I spent a few hours hitting areas around the Dublin Scioto River gorge and found lots of temperate migrants and only a handful of neotropical migrants.  The nice weather and odd wind pattern appears to be still holding up the major waves of neotropicals.  I managed to scrounge up a list of 50 species without even stopping at the gorge's 2 best spots (Kiwanis, O'Shaughnessy Dam); my itinerary included Kozcuiscko Park, Scioto Park, Donegal Cliffs, Coventry Woods, Brandon Woods, and Amberleigh Park. Notables included:

Green Heron - 1 was a flyby at Donegal Cliffs Park, heading north
Red-shouldered Hawk - an adult was stalking birds in Brandon Woods
Cooper's Hawks - had them at several spots
Ruby-thrHummer - a male was patrolling flowers at Donegal Cliffs
Chimney Swifts - had them in several spots
E.Phoebe - the only flycatcher, but they were widespread
Swallows - Barn, Tree, and Rough-winged were fairly common
Vireos - had White-eyed (Kozcuiscko), Red-eyed (CoventryWoods), and Warbling (several spots)
House wrens - almost abundant, with 2-5 at every stop
Gnatcatchers - abundant, with 4-8 at every stop
Ruby-cr.Kinglet - a single bird was still at Donegal Cliffs
Catbirds - had 2-3 singing in the scrubby areas of Kozcuiscko Park
Warblers - Parula (Amberleigh), Nashville (Donegal Cliffs), Yellow-throated (many places), Palm (3 spots)
Sparrows - small flocks of White=-throats, in addition to the widespread Song & Chipping
Baltimore Oriole - 1 male was singing along the river at Amberleigh Park
Purple Finch - 1 late bird was singing at Koscuiscko Park early