From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 2015 20:06:06 -0400
Today, Wednesday, was a day of wishful thinking. Yesterday, Tuesday, about 23 miles to the east of "The Sandspit", by the way the crow flies along the shore of Lake Erie, is Gull Point at Presque Isle State Park in Pennsylvania. A Wilson's Plover was found and photographed there. It was not seen at Gull Point today. In the past, some rare birds have shown up at Conneaut, then moved on to Gull Point, or in other cases in the reverse, Gull Point to Conneaut. A recent example was a Snowy Plover seen all day at Conneaut on June 2, 2012 which showed up at Gull Point the following day.There is only one record of Wilson's Plover in Ohio; one was collected in June of 1936 in Lucas County. Thus, this would be an Ohio Life Bird for us, which because of our years of birding, does not happen often. Needless to say, our visit to "The Sandspit" today did not produce the fantasy bird we wished for. There were some highlights though: 3 Semipalmated Plovers, 1 Dunlin, 4 Common Terns (2 copulating), 2 Bonaparte's Gulls, 4 Great Black-backed Gulls, 2 Common Mergansers, and 10 Bald Eagles (2 adults & 8 Juveniles). The Wilson's Plover is out there somewhere and right now is peak Whimbrel time. Keep your eyes open!

Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County