From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 2015 20:48:12 +0000
I birded at several places in Ashtabula Co. today.  I started at Conneaut harbor.  Shorebirding was slow, but overall diversity wasn't bad; highlights were: 40 double-crested cormorants, osprey, bald eagle, semipalmated plover, spotted sandpiper, 2 least sandpipers, 9 semipalmated sandpipers, 2 imm. Bonaparte's gulls, 2 imm. great black-backed gulls, 3 Caspian terns, belted kingfisher, 2 willow flycatchers, e. kingbird, white-eyed vireo, 2 warbling vireos, tree swallow, bank swallows, barn swallows, 3 gray catbirds, and 5 yellow warblers.  Next I went to Ashtabula, stopping first at the Indian Trails Park wetland @ E. 24th St.  The water was high there from last night's rain, the only shorebird present was a killdeer.  Also found there were great blue heron, willow flycatcher, warbling vireo, 2 rose-breasted grosbeaks, and Baltimore oriole.  From there I went to Walnut Beach, which had great egret, 3 semipalmated plovers, spotted sandpiper, 3 semipalmated sandpipers, 2 willow flycatchers, great crested flycatcher, 2 warbling vireos, red-eyed vireo, n. rough-winged swallow, 15 cedar waxwings, c. yellowthroats, yellow warblers, and Baltimore oriole.  Then I went south and birded at and around Dorset Wildlife Area.  I found a good variety of birds there: Am. coot, ruby-throated hummingbird, 4 e. wood-pewees, great crested flycatcher, 5 red-eyed vireos, 5 purple martins, house wrens, 2 wood thrushes, 2 ovenbirds, 5 c. yellowthroats, hooded warbler, 4 Am. redstarts, 8 yellow warblers, 2 chestnut-sided warblers, field sparrow, savannah sparrows, 9 song sparrows, indigo buntings, 5 bobolinks, and Baltimore oriole.  Last but not least, on the way home I spotted an Am. kestrel along Stanhope-Kellogsville Rd. in Williamsfield Twp.  Craig Holt, Lowellville