From:
Sameer Apte <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sameer Apte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 2015 22:05:28 -0400
Hi all--coming from a younger, "tech-age-savvy" perspective (college
freshman), just wanted to support John's point about Facebook vs email. As
the population of young and young adult birders grows, we have shifted
gears towards Facebook's birding groups, and Birding Ohio has become a
tremendous resource, especially for those beginning and future birders who
are just discovering the great activity we all participate in. However, you
do mention the "old guard", and birding is nothing without legends,
leaders, standouts, and wisdom. The younger population of birders cannot
progress further without using the huge knowledge and skill of very
accomplished birders who may depend on the listserv instead of Facebook for
rare sightings and reports. The simple fact is that email is a more formal,
practical, friendly, and applicable medium than Facebook for birding
purposes, with the one regret that photo sharing is less accessible (and
this may be a plus because it encourages people to post better and
higher-quality photos of a bird).
 I know many birders, notably Jen, share all their posts on the three
groups she mentioned; the listserv, the Birding Ohio Facebook group, and
the ORBA Facebook group. It would be a good idea to follow this protocol so
that as many birders as possible are able to see rare bird listings and our
discussions about birds in general.
A side comment, keeping with the Facebook theme; Please, when reporting a
rarity on eBird, share your photos on a site other than Facebook, such as
Flickr or a personal website. Many Facebook photos are not viewable to
those who do not have accounts, which is inconvenient who those who do not
have Facebook to help with the ID. I know there was frustration about this
in Pittsburgh last year with the Kelp Gull.
All in all considered, the listserv should stay, and birders should take
the extra time and work to post across the listserv and Facebook in order
to serve as many birders as possible.
Good birding,
Sameer Apte