From:
Michele Skolmutch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 May 2015 22:12:06 -0400
There was some great bird activity today in my little corner of western
Holmes County. Luckily I had to the day off to enjoy it! It started off at
5:30 am with the return of the Whip-poor-will. Hadn't heard it since May
18th.

On the Holmes County Trail near Killbuck, I found a Louisiana Waterthrush
feeding one of its fledglings. Pretty exciting!

Back home this afternoon and all this evening things have been really been
hopping. The Prairie Warbler sang for a little while. Had a Nighthawk fly
over. Saw and heard a Black-and-White Warbler in our Silver Maple as as
well as a pair of Yellow-throated Vireos. And, an Acadian Flycatcher called
a few times.

But probably the most exciting has been at least one pair of Black-throated
Green Warblers that have been hanging around for about a week now. Earlier
in the week, and especially tonight, a male has been singing at various
points on our property as well as across the road at my mother-in-laws as
if establishing his territory. Kent Miller provided me with a link to the
Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II where I was able to find out that it is
probable that BTGW, B&W, Prairie Warblers and Whip-poor-wills nest locally.
I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on these birds.

I guess letting things grow up on our 10 acres is finally paying off.

Happy birding!

Michele Skolmutch

western Holmes County