From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 May 2015 02:59:05 +0000
 Today Shaune Skinner and I set sail in the HMS Hoover and monitored for Prothonotary Warblers along the west shore of Hoover Reservoir from Oxbow Road south to the Sunbury Road causeway and the islands in the immediate area. Today we located 30 territories. This brings the total Prothonotary Warblers observed in the territories visited in the last several trips to 80 males and 16 females. The imbalance is due to the females being in the nest boxes or cavities either laying eggs or incubating during the morning. The females generally do not leave the nest boxes until in the afternoon. The easy part is locating pairs using a nest box. Finding natural cavity nest sites is a whole different game. Patience and luck are the rules of the game. Today we had both good and bad luck. The good luck resulted in locating the nest cavity in a few trees. The bad luck was the weather. The forecast was for spotty showers. We were the spot. The weather radar spot was exactly where we sat being drenched. Ah, what we will do for a small golden yellow bird. We were treated after the downpour to great views of multiple males, several of which flew out to the boat as if to greet us. We still have half of the areas we usually locate Prothonotary Warblers left to cover. It is looking to be another great year for them at Hoover Reservoir. Now I need to follow up on foot and wade out to the sites I can reach to census the activity in the nest boxes.
Some additional observations for the season -The Bald Eagle nest is doing well. The eaglets are growing fast.We have located 3 Osprey nests and are fairly sure there is a fourth which we are trying to locate.Red-headed Woodpeckers are becoming abundant at Hoover Reservoir. We have located  over 20 pairs to date.Today we located a Blue-winged Teal in a backwater area.
Charlie Bombaci