From:
"Simpson, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Simpson, Bruce
Date:
Sun, 31 May 2015 15:41:49 -0400
  Lake Hope State Park & Zaleski State Forest are located 15 miles from
Nelsonville (Rte 33) off of Rte 278.
    There are 20 Warblers that breed in this area The Prothonotary,
Magnolia,& Chestnut-sided are not common. When you find the proper habitat
you may or may not find the bird, however the numbers for these birds are
increasing. The other 17 Warblers are numerous. When you find the proper
habitat you will find these birds.

      Clear Cut Warblers
            Blue-winged
            Prairie
            C Yellowthroat
            Yellow-breasted Chat

    Warblers found along flowing water-there are creeks everywhere
            Prothonotary
            Louisianna Waterthrush
            N Parula
            Yellow-throated

   Areas near water with Willow trees
            Yellow

  Warblers found in Shelter Woods-areas that have been timbered,but a few
trees with mast crops were selected to not be cut
             Chestnut-sided
             Magnolia-found where there are a few Conifers

  Pine Groves-Warblers found in these areas
              Black-throated Green
              Pine

  Woodland Warblers
              Cerulean
              Black-and-white
              American Redstart
              Worm-eating
              Ovenbird
              Kentucky
              Hooded

         There are numerous roads which you can explore & find these birds.
Some of my favorite roads are Baptist Church, Wheelabout, Shea, &
HopeMoonville

          Friday I saw a male Prairie Warbler with a caterpillar, It keep
on foraging & found another caterpillar, it was still foraging when I lost
sight of the bird. When you see a bird Carrying Food (CF), you know it has
young in a nest

          My next goal with Warblers & other Birds is to find young. I have
not found any yet.  A lot of times the young bird will be in low vegetation
that normally this bird would not be in (Ex/ Cerulean young) In addition
sometimes you                       can get closer to young birds who have
not acquired the fear of man.

          A couple of years ago I saw a young male  Prairie Warbler that
had fledged, being fed by its parents. I saw this on 2 different visits.
The next visit I saw the young bird chasing after the parents that had food
but would not fed                              him. Later I saw him perched
in a tree all alone. He looked so sad. & was probably was wondering why his
parents were not feeding him now

          Another time I saw an adult Red-shouldered Hawk with a snake in
its talon flying through the woods. Behind the adult was a young
Red-shouldered chasing after the adult. This young was making a lot of
sounds while pursuing                        the adult with food.

          During a normal visit this time of year, I will spend 8 hours in
this area & find all 20 Warblers & around 80+ species. Besides the 20
Warblers, there are at least 4 Hawks that breed there. Last Friday we had a
Sharp-shinned                           Hawk fly over. Maybe a new summer
resident. There are 6 Breeding Woodpeckers. Twice I have found
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers in June This may be another possible breeding
woodpecker.

         Lake Hope State Park & Zaleski State Forest are great birding
areas, so come & visit & I know when you leave the area you will have had a
great day Birding!!!

                 Bruce Simpson-Naturalist at Blendon Woods Metro Park in
Columbus