From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 2015 21:53:19 -0400
Well, I decided to run away from the rain, and get home to check out how
the migration is turning over here at Big Island.
I left Magee with a total of 101 species, and picked up a Cooper's Hawk as
I left Oak Harbor. so 102 for the day and two halves.  Never got the
Orange-crowned...oh well MAYBE Saturday. :-D  I will be at the boardwalk
from 5 till 5ish...probably on the perch for most of it just hanging out
and pointing out birds for those who come up...so if you are around...

But on to today, It was great to get home and see what is left and what is
coming into Big Island.

First to hear a Prothonotary Warbler singing out was music to my ear, then
followed by a pair of Yellow-throated Vireos.  Both of those being backed
up by the Marsh Wrens, Common Gallinule(Moorhen), Soras, and the soft
chuckle of a Least Bittern, the low hoot of a Barred Owl, made for a quite
pleasant symphony for the ears.

A couple of pics of the Prothonotary Warbler here should be the last two of
the album.:

http://www.sjlarue.com/p803819247/h45147FF1#h45147ff1

Thursday I will be heading to Lawrence Woods to check on the Cerulean
Warblers...hopefully they will be heading in soon...plus there should be
some other migrants there as well.

Anyhew, have a great rest of the week.

Happy Birding, and God Bless!

Steve J.

Big Island Wildlife Area--North of Larue-Prospect Rd., Marion, US-OH
May 5, 2015 3:49 PM - 5:41 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Submitted from  BirdLog NA for Android v1.9.6
60 species

Canada Goose  150
Trumpeter Swan  2
Wood Duck  16
Mallard  20
Blue-winged Teal  10
Northern Shoveler  8
Ring-necked Duck  10
Lesser Scaup  20
Hooded Merganser  8
Ruddy Duck  30
Wild Turkey  1
Pied-billed Grebe  4
Double-crested Cormorant  200     Hanging out on the western side the
center pond.
Least Bittern  1     Heard calling in far west side of West pond.
Great Blue Heron  30
Great Egret  2
Turkey Vulture  4
Bald Eagle  2
Red-tailed Hawk  2
Sora  1
Common Gallinule  10
American Coot  200     Center and west ponds still hold quite a few.
Sandhill Crane  2     Heard calling in back pond.
Killdeer  2
Lesser Yellowlegs  15
Bonaparte's Gull  5
Ring-billed Gull  100
Caspian Tern  5
Mourning Dove  10
Barred Owl  2     Heard in woods west of west pond.
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  1