From:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 2015 15:05:44 -0400
Wow. What a difference from a few days ago. There were so many new migrants this morning in Bedford Reservation...it was really incredible. The woods sounded so different with all the new songs. And, there were birds all along the trail low in the trees foraging and singing. Some warbler species. (I couldn't quite ID some up high in the treetops.) Spotted sandpipers. Vireos. Etc. The floodplains down near Tinkers Creek were the best areas to see and hear things. The trees still haven't grown many leaves yet. So, finding birds high up wasn't a problem. I'll bet the resident chickadees, blue jays, titmice, etc. were very upset with all the new arrivals crowding the forest.

Note: If you do hike this trail you should be aware that there is a very friendly or curious nuthatch just before a small creek crossing. I don't know whether someone was feeding the bird at one point or what. But, it will fly to the trees right next to where you are walking for a short stretch.