From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 2015 16:04:53 -0400
Lawrence Woods has really picked up.  The Bobolinks are back...as well as
the hummingbirds...I have a pic of a female building a nest...wish I had a
ladder. :-D

I met up with Ron Sempier and John for a morning of neck breaking birding.
As I was coming into the preserve, I had 5 species already. :-D

 The trick to birding Lawrence woods is slow methodical searching...or bird
by ear...or both.  For an example, we heard a bird, and was certain it was
a Warbler, but it took almost ten minutes for it to pop out and show off
it's white eye ring.  Another example is that I am sure that I heard a
Yellow-breasted Chat in the meadow behind the boardwalk, but we couldn't
visually confirm due to the constraints of the boardwalk.

As I we got to the parking lot, we finished off the round with a Common
Yellowthroat and Bobolinks singing in the parking lot area.  Several are
setting up territories in the valley.

the hummingbird nest is very close to the boardwalk right around the
split...if you go, look way up, and to the right. :-D

My final bird of the day was a Pheasant crowing as I left the driveway.
List is below.

I will be up at Magee on Saturday either with Tom, on the tower, or on the
east beach.  I'll be wearing my Waffle House hat, so if you see me, say hi.
:-D

Happy birding, and God Bless!

Steve J

Lawrence Woods State Nature Preserve, Hardin, US-OH
May 7, 2015 8:30 AM - 12:10 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Submitted from  BirdLog NA for Android v1.9.6
50 species

Canada Goose  8
Ring-necked Pheasant  1
Turkey Vulture  4
Mourning Dove  2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1     Female building nest.
Red-headed Woodpecker  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  1
American Kestrel  1
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
Red-eyed Vireo  2
Blue Jay  8
American Crow  2
Tree Swallow  10
Carolina Chickadee  2
Tufted Titmouse  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  4
House Wren  2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  8
Hermit Thrush  2
Wood Thrush  2
American Robin  6
Gray Catbird  4
Brown Thrasher  2
Nashville Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  1
Northern Parula  2
Magnolia Warbler  1
Chestnut-sided Warbler  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  2
Black-throated Green Warbler  2
Yellow-breasted Chat  1     heard in field behind boardwalk.
Eastern Towhee  1
Chipping Sparrow  2
Field Sparrow  7
Song Sparrow  4