From:
Ken Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 2015 17:38:15 -0400
​Today was the opening day of "The Biggest Week in American Birding" in the
western Lake Erie basin. We saw lots of people and lots of birds. Helen and
I have seen 198 bird species in Ohio this year and seven of them were new
today:
1 Eastern Wood-Pewee - Magee Marsh Wildlife Area--Boardwalk
2 Canada Warbler - Magee Marsh Wildlife Area--Boardwalk
3 Wilson's Warbler - Magee Marsh Wildlife Area--Boardwalk
4 Blackpoll Warbler - Metzger Marsh--Woodlot
5 Black-bellied Plover - Metzger Marsh--Causeway Viewing Areas
6 Semipalmated Plover - Metzger Marsh--Causeway Viewing Areas
7 Semipalmated Sandpiper - Metzger Marsh--Causeway Viewing Areas
8 Orange-crowned Warbler - East Harbor SP--Beach Ridge

The river of birds is flowing north. When the south wind was blowing fairly
briskly this afternoon I compared it to turning on the elevator which the
birds ride north in their journey. Many of the birds we saw today are
headed toward Canadian breeding territories. They don't need a passport for
their travel!

Ken Ostermiller
Westfield Center
Medina County​