From:
Helen Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Helen Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 2015 23:15:36 -0400
Ten days ago we watched a red-bellied woodpecker predating a blue-gray gnatcatcher nest at Killbuck Marsh.  The frantic gnatcatchers, flying around the woodpecker and calling loudly, could not deter the woodpecker who was pecking in the nest, presumably having eggs for breakfast.  The woodpecker left the nest intact, but I would expect the gnatcatchers would abandon that nest site.

Helen Ostermiller