OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2015

From:
Sheryl Young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 2015 07:04:07 -0400
I had a pine siskin at my nature center feeder at East Harbor State Park,
Ottawa Co.  The bird was first seen June 7, on an upside down thistle
feeder.  It didn't act quite normal, defending its perch by hanging and  keeping
its upper wing stiffly extended (rather than showing aggression when
another bird neared) as it slowly feed.

I was not at that location again until June 11.  At that time, the  bird
sat in the hopper of the safflower feeder and looked a little  sluggish.  Its
health continued to deteriorate until June 13 when it was  feeding on the
ground.  By evening, it was too weak to fly and allowed me  to pick it up.  It
was very emaciated died soon after.

One positive note, it will become part of the Cleveland Museum of Natural
History's collection, and will be the only pine siskin they have that was
collected in Ohio.

I sincerely hope the Geauga pine siskin story has a happier  ending.

Sheryl Young