OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2015

From:
Chris Caprette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Caprette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2015 09:47:11 -0400
There is considerable variation in robin song and they have a decent
repertoire of calls as well. Cornell's wonderful site provides typical
songs for each species but the variation presented for some species is
pretty limited, understandably so given the purpose of the site and the
additional content on identification and natural history that they provide.

If you really want to explore variation in vocalizations of particular
species, you can search OSU's Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics (BLB)
database of recordings which has metadata (dates, times, locations,
weather, recordists, equipment used, etc.) either directly at the Borror
Lab's site or indirectly through VertNet (which has other museum
collection databases also). Ohio Link's digital resource collection
(DRC) has copies of the actual audio recordings from the BLB. I think
that the learning curve for using these databases may be a bit steep but
it can be fun to browse the recordings and hear the different
vocalizations from around the world.

Ohio Link's copy of the BLB bird vocalization database:
http://drc.ohiolink.edu/handle/2374.OX/30658?submit=Go&query=borror%20lab&focusscope=&mode=search

VertNet:
http://vertnet.org/

BLB:
http://blb.osu.edu/

On 6/29/2015 9:03 AM, Rompre, Ghislain wrote:
> In Hilliard, west Columbus, I have a similar Robin male, which sings
> constantly in the same manner: he sounds like a Tufted Titmouse! I see it
> all the time, perched on top of a condo roof. My guess is that it's also a
> lonely male, not capable of finding a female. Maybe because it's song is
> not "robin" standard (he really sounds "bad" robin wise), or the territory
> is relatively poor. Once a while another male (which sings like a real
> Robin) comes in his territory, bet never for long; since the "bad-singer"
> never stops singing.
>
> Habitat is a new condo complex, with very few scattered trees. I would say,
> not good habitat material, even for a Robin.
>
> On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 2:44 PM, Joanne Konst <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/28/2015 11:31 AM, Kathy Shank wrote:
>>
>>> We have been hearing a bird song which consists of the same five notes
>>> repeated over and over again from dawn till dark.  It does sound
>>> thrush-like, but is not typical of any of the thrushes in this area except
>>> possibly for a Robin.  I have never heard this song/call come from a Robin
>>> though.  It doesn't match recordings on the Cornell site.  It starts
>>> mid-range, then up, then mid, then down, then mid.  There is no answering
>>> call.  My thought is that is a lonely male Robin desperately seeking a
>>> mate.  The habitat consists of very large, old maples and other tall,
>>> mature tress in a neighborhood about 1/4 mile from the Cleveland
>>> Metroparks.  If it would EVER STOP RAINING we might see this bird.  Always
>>> seems to be in the upper third of trees.  Any thoughts?
>>>

>> Red eyed vireo comes to mind.  I remember camping under a large tree
>> with a vireo above, singing morning to night.  I love birds, but this
>> vireo drove me nuts!
>>
>> Joanne Konst
>> Columbus

>> You can join or leave the list, or change your options, at:
>> listserv.miamioh.edu/scripts/wa.exe?LIST=OHIO-BIRDS
>> Send questions or comments about the list to: [log in to unmask]

---