OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2015

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2015 09:51:49 -0400
I was asked to forward the sighting below to the list, and gladly do so.
I don't know if the observers are aware of my skepticism about the
provenance of trumpeter swans in Ohio. I haven't seen the photos, but
assume these are (genetically at least) the real McCoy. It's legal to
own trumps, but they are very costly and very seldom are they allowed to
get loose. Those introduced by our Wildlife people don't migrate like
wild swans, and after decades they still stick to what remains of their
introduction localities--Ottawa, Killdeer, The Wilds, and some WAs in
the east.
        I once saw a pair of trumpeters, with a few Canadas, in a field
along 33 in Hocking County around Christmas time. I assumed frozen water
had driven them south; there was a famous individual that spent the
winter in Parkersburg WV earlier, mooching handouts at a municipal pond
that wasn't allowed to freeze. It too may have followed Canadas. These
Newark birds in June are a puzzle, but I can't imagine they are truly
wild trumps from NW Canada, but they could be tested for introduced
status by offering them some handouts....
Bill Whan
Columbus