OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2015

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2015 20:37:35 -0400
Hi,

The nesting range Dark-eyed Juncos in Ohio is limited to a small area on
the higher elevations east of Cleveland.  In this area the nesting
population has exploded in the past 30 years and they are common in
appropriate habitat.  This habitat is no longer limited to mature forests,
Hemlock ravines, and Sharon Conglomerate outcrops. In fact reports of
Juncos building nests in hanging plant baskets at sites well away from any
of the above, are increasingly common in Geauga County.

Additionally, in Kirtland we have noticed the Juncos now sing an atypical
song.  It is similar to a Tennessee or sometimes Nashville Warbler and can
be mistaken for those species during migration.

Lisa Rainsong has recorded this and the sonogram is similar to a Tennessee
Warbler but does show differences. She is working to get better quality
recordings and sonograms.  Interestingly, there are no recordings of
Dark-eyed Junco from Ohio, in the Macaulay sound library at Cornell.

Today I was able to get video of a Junco singing this atypical song.  Many
Ohio birders have never heard a Junco singing on territory so in might be
useful to listen to one of the many typical examples of their song for
comparison.

The video may be viewed here:

https://youtu.be/G0Fe9AR0ywE

Haans