OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2015

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 2015 11:50:27 -0400
Hi,

On our Holden BBS hike this morning we were on the Baldwin and East Branch
properties.  This is in an area of over 2000 acres of mostly unbroken
forest.  Not all of this forest is Holden Property and so it is quite
expansive.  In the middle of this I was surprised to hear an Eastern
Bluebird singing.  I found that to be remarkable given the context.

Then we found the nest. In a hole in a snag on the edge of the bluffs that
surround the river valley 180-200 feet below.  We saw the female carrying
food and fecal sacs as the male stood by.

The middle of the forest would seem to be an extraordinary location for an
Eastern Bluebird nest. However we do not have good historical context as
our knowledge of this species in NE Ohio only dates back about 200 years.

Eastern Bluebirds have gone from being quite rare 50 years ago to abundant
today.  Kirtland has been at the core of this recovery because the Holden
Arboretum was one of the first places where nest boxes and trails were set
up to aid their breeding success.  These were always set up in open areas
or in areas with trees nearby. Never in the deep forest as that was not
considered proper habitat.

Why these birds have chosen to nest so far from the nearest field is
unknown. The female was catching insects on the forest floor very close to
the nest site, so this pair was not traveling to an open area to forage.

The link is to the track of our survey hike.  Viewing this in aerial photo
mode shows the location in the middle of the woods. (it is the point in
about the center of the track)

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/2989588

Haans