OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2015

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 2015 15:41:22 -0400
This morning, in flooded farm fields north of Oak Harbor, n.w. Ohio, I
found a flock of 21 Semipalmated Sandpipers.

Recent rains have flooded many fields in this area, creating large amounts
of temporary habitat, so it was a needle-in-a-haystack coincidence that I
happened to see this flock. But the timing isn't unusual. June 10th is well
within the period of northward (or "spring") migration for Semipalmated
Sandpiper and some other shorebird species. (Indeed, I was a little
surprised not to see White-rumped Sandpiper, a classic early-June migrant
in this region and a bird that favors flooded fields.)

The last of the northbound migrants should pass through here within the
next week or two, but then the first of the southbound shorebirds should
arrive before the end of June. By early July, if it's a normal year, the
"fall" migration of shorebirds will be well under way. But even in the gap
between the expected spring and fall migrations, a few non-breeding
individual shorebirds of various species are often seen in Ohio -- neither
northbound nor southbound, just wandering around. So any time in summer
that we happen to pass good shorebird habitat, it's always worthwhile for
us to pause and take a look.

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, Ohio