OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2015

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jun 2015 09:40:39 -0400

There is a large concentration of herons at Metzger Marsh.  I watched a tricolored Heron fly in at around 9:00 this morning.  It landed in the large opening along the lake dike.  It landed in the Southeast corner amongst 10+ great egrets.  There were also a couple snowy egrets and a few black-crowned night-herons.

I also heard sandhill cranes ack in the marsh.  Also of note were two Caspian terns flying around almost in courtship.  Anyone birding this regularly should watch to see if they are possibly nesting or just migrants.  There were also 3 semipalmated sandpiper and a dunlin.  They maybe drawing this area down.