OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2015

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jun 2015 18:06:11 -0400
The Columbus Audubon trip to this MetroPark south of Lancaster enjoyed clear hot weather in the morning, then worked to dodge rain squalls after noon.  We birded the meadows around Starner Rd and Written Rock early in the morning, where bird activity was fairly good, then moved to more forested areas at the Barneby Picnic area and the Fern Trail later.  Unfortunately, the rain caught us before we could fully explore the Fern & Hemlock Trails, so we don't know what birds are using those hemlock-filled ravines.  Highlights included

forest buteos - had Red-shouldered and Broad-winged at Barneby; the Broad-winged was calling and patrolling around the area.
cuckoos - heard calling Yellow-billeds at Starner Rd and Barneby Center (Tuliptree Trail).
flycatchers - lots of Acadians and Phoebes, but surprisingly few Pewees.  Our only Willow was at Written Rock meadow.
vireos- lots of Red-eyed, which was expected, but we also had 8+ White-eyed, with birds at every stop, and 3-4 Yellow-thr.
wrens,gnatcatchers - some House Wrens and a few Carolinas, as well as modest #s of Gnatcatchers (unlike the hordes around Columbus)

thrushes - Wood Thrushes were widespread, but6 we also heard a Veery along the roadside and a Hermit at Barneby Center
mimids - catbirds were abundant, but we couldn't find any mockingbirds or thrashers

warblers - Redstarts, Hoodeds, and Ovenbirds widespread, but the latter 2 were rarely seen.  Several Kentuckies were singing along the Tuliptree trail at Barneby.  Yellows & Com.Yellowthroats were common in the meadows at Starner aadn Written Rock. Parulas & Yellowthroateds were along the creek at Starner and Fern Trail lots, and Black&Whites were there and a few other places. Heard Ceruleans there and along the road near the Fern Trail ,but never got a good look at one.  A Pine Warbler was singing around the Barneby picnic area, but no Prairie Warblers could be found.  Louisiana Waterthrushes were along the creek at several spots. A Chat was singing briefly at Starner, as was a Black-thr.Green.

Tanagers - could only find Scarlets; they were singing at many locations, and were seen at two.
Grosbeaks,Buntings - Indigo Buntings were abundant, while singing Rose-br.Grosbeak was at Barneby.
Orioles - only a few Baltimores were heard, with only 2 seen.  No Orchards were found.