OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2015

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2015 06:20:47 -0400
I hiked around two of the main forest patches in Battelle Darby MetroPark (southwest of Columbus) yesterday morning, looking for last migrants and pioneering residents.  First was Indian Ridge, then Cedar Ridge, and I found nothing that was unequivocally a migrant, but there were loads of singing residents.  These forest patches have grown into fairly mature habitat, and appear to be starting to attract some of the species more expected from unglaciated areas.  Included in the list were:

Yellow-billed Cuckoos - a singing duo at Indian Ridge, with another calling at Cedar Ridge
Flycatchers - loads of Pewees and Acadians at both spots, with smaller numbers of Great Cresteds. E.Kingbirds were at Indian Ridge prairie.

Vireos - Red-eyed were abundant, but there was also a singing White-eyed at Indian Ridge
Thrushes - only Wood Thrushes, and they weren't as common as in more urban riparian habitats
Warblers - Parulas & Yellow-throated were common along the creek, but also had singing Ovenbirds (3) and Kentucky Warblers (3) along the upland portion of the Terrace Trail at Indian Ridge.  Louisiana Waterthrushes were singing at Indian Ridge.

Tanagers - a Summer Tanager male was on territory at Indian Ridge, while 2 Scarlets were song-dueling at Indian Ridge
Grosbeaks,Buntings - 2 Rose-breasteds were singing at Indian Ridge, while Indigo Buntings were widespread at both sites
Orioles - Baltimores were along the Creek at both sites, while an Orchard was singing along the edge of Indian Ridge prairie