OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2015

From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 2015 14:01:15 -0400
During this morning's hike around our property, while I was trimming with
pruning shears along the southern part of our raspberry trail (edge
habitat,) I heard a rapid-fire clucking that reminded me of a cuckoo. A few
more steps and I heard it again, quite close. I spished, and the bird
popped down from the treetops into the heavily shaded understory. I got a
very good look, actually the best sighting I have ever had at a
black-billed cuckoo, with binoculars from less than 10 meters. Very
satisfying indeed!

I have heard their calls here before, but I have always been reluctant to
count the species on the yard list until I could get a decent sighting.
This makes 139 species I have tallied here since the summer of 2000, on
this average piece of Appalachian Ohio.

Our "yard," Valhalla Acres Fiber Farm, is 57 acres of hilltop pastures and
fields, bordered and dissected by three forested ravines. No wetlands to
speak of, although there are numerous springs and seeps. It is located
along the eastern part of Flint Ridge, in western Muskingum County.

The raspberries are doing very well. There were a lot of blooms a couple
weeks ago, pollination appears to have gone well, and if we get enough rain
in June it promises a lot of berries, for us, the birds, and the other
wildlife.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County