OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2015

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 2015 18:50:55 -0400
With a less rainy day in the forecast, Diana & I headed back to Clear Creek to see some of the area I missed on Saturday, especially the Fern & Hemlock Trails.  We also stopped at the meadows at Starner & Written Rock for good measre, but didn't find much different from Saturday.  Totals for 2 hours on the Fern-Hemlock Loop included:

Red-shouldered Hawk - at least 1 calling
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds - at least 2
Flycatchers - mostly Pewees (6) & Acadian (11+), but also had a Phoebe and Great Crested.  Willow still at Written Rock.
Vireos - LOTS of Red-eyed (24+), along with Yellow-throated (2) and White-eyed (1)
Thrushes - Wood Thrushes along road and in ravines, totaling perhaps 8; Veeries along creek (3), and 1 Hermit singing at the upper end of Hemlock ravine

Warblers - 14 species, mostly Ovenbirds (12+) and Hooded (18+).  Redstarts (7) and Black&Whites (6) were mostly along the creek, as were Parulas(2) and Yellow-throated (2).  Ceruleans (3) were on slopes above creek, while Worm-eating (4) were mostly towards upper end of side valleys.  Black-thr.Greens (6) were clustered around hemlocks.  A single Prairie was singing in the meadow where Fern Trail meets the Cemeter Ridge Trail.  Yellows & Common Yellowthroats were common down in creekside meadows.

Tanagers - still no Summers, but Scarlets (6-8) were much more common along loop.
Grosbeaks,Buntings - single Rose-br.Grosbeak was singing along creek, while Indigos were widespread around meadows.