OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2015

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 2015 10:29:48 -0400
Thanks to Roger and Dan for thoughtful commentary. I recommend the
latest work on cranes by the eloquent biologist Paul Johnsgard,
"Sandhill and Whooping Cranes: Ancient Voices over America's Wetlands"
(2011), where he observes that sandhills are reoccupying ancestral
breeding areas, including in Ohio. Accompanying this good news, he also
deplores the spread of proposed hunting seasons in the states newly
reoccupied in recent years, including Ohio, where our Wildlife people
seem eager to see that gunfire is one way we should welcome them. Over
the last ten years quite a few isolated spots have hosted crane nests in
our state, in small but steadily increasing numbers, while the Funk
breeders continue to have some good populations.
        As for Ohio's trumpeter swans--who have *no* history of nesting in Ohio
until the recent introductions by our Wildlife people--they may raise
young when only 2-3 years of age, but typically the parents begin at 4-7
years of age (account in The Birds of North America). These swans'
artificial populations winked out at several Ohio sites, and only Ottawa
and Killdeer have supported breeding wild nesting groups, from which a
few birds wander periodically, without--as far as I know--nesting in new
places. The ODW plan ceased carefully monitoring of these populations in
2006, but as recently as 2013 the Division reported 20 breeding pairs.
There's no doubt these birds, alien as breeders in Ohio, impact other
waterfowl; check pond 3 next time you're at Killdeer--they chase all
other waterbirds out when they nest there. And you might ask Wildlife
how many trumps illegally shot have been intercepted at check stations
since 2006.
        As for "managing" crane habitats, I say the more the merrier!
Bill Whan
Columbus