OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2015

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 2015 20:44:59 -0400
I checked out the lower portions of both of these reservoirs north of Columbus today -- Alum in the morning, Hoover in the afternoon --- but found no indication of any significant displacement of birds by the arriving storm system.  Although the rain was heavy at times, there was minimal wind.  Fishermen must have known this, and they were out in numbers on both reservoirs.  Both also had good numbers of resident birds, the only unusual things being:

cormorants - 2-3 were at Alum, while 10+ were above Hoover dam
Vultures - Alum had 8-10 Turkey Vultures & 1 Black Vulture, while Hoover had 35 Turkeys and 1 Black
Osprey - single birds were fishing above both dams
Gulls - not much, with only 8 on the beach at Alum and even fewer around lower Hoover
Swallows - good #s of Cliffs at both dams (where they nest), plus Barn, Trees, & Purple Martins at Alum, and Trees & Rough-wings at Hoover.  Kept an eye out for Cave Swallows, but nothing other than Cliffs that I could see.