OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2015

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 2015 22:27:20 -0400
We had not been to this spot in almost a year but were rewarded immediately
by seeing two Peregrine's.  Here are some pictures:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/85567104@N05/sets/72157653319568110

They started on the east side of the road then moved under the short section
of the highway on the west side.  A picture shows "Tails Up!" as they argue
over some prey Item.  You can see them playing 'tug-of-war' with it then the
victor flies away with whatever it is.  He/she eats on it for a good while,
then launches off toward us and disappears above the bridge, but not before
showing us its 'bracelets' on each leg (the left leg appears to have two
bands).  The larger bird that lost the 'tug-of-war' remained on that perch
for hours (we came back after lunch to find it still there).

Very exciting!

At Station Road trailhead we walk the tracks north to the marsh and saw 42
species including 3 distinct Red-headed Woodpecker nest holes where adults
were feeding young.  There may have been more.  Other cavity nesters feeding
young in the marsh were Northern Flicker, Starling, Tree Swallow and
Prothonotary Warbler.

Matt Valencic