OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2015

From:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 2015 15:31:50 -0400
On Sunday morning I was parked under the I-480 bridge where it goes over the Cuyahoga Valley. I saw a red-tailed hawk perched on the huge support pole for the billboard next to the highway. The hawk was looking down in the grass. It was probably hunting.
After a few minutes there were screams from two Peregrine Falcons. The falcons have nested on the west end of the bridge the past few years. They dove on the hawk numerous times. The hawk didn't seem too bothered. It raised its wings in a defensive posture as the falcons zoomed past.
After about 15 minutes, the falcons just perched and called. The hawk flew to the bridge and perched on the large red steel girder. It eventually flew away.

I took a short shaky video. I took some screenshots of the video frames and tried to clean them up a bit. Here are some shots along with a photo of the location of the action.
https://500px.com/photo/112803675/falcon-diving-on-hawk-by-ken-
https://500px.com/photo/112803673/falcon-diving-on-hawk-by-ken-
https://500px.com/photo/112803677/falcon-diving-on-hawk-by-ken-
https://500px.com/photo/112803681/location-by-ken-

From the actions of the falcons, I'm guessing that they have a active nest. Maybe they have fledglings, as well. I don't know the exact location of this nest. I only know it is on the west end of the bridge, which is where I was pointing my camera.

There are a couple of legit parking spots under the bridge. One is for the Cleveland Metroparks bike path. The other is a truck turn-around circle which is where I was Sunday. I sometimes stop in these spots and search the billboards and the bridge for the falcons.